By JOSPHINE MWENDE
Three siblings from Kaluasi village in Voo Location, Voo/Kyamatu Ward, Kitui East Constituency, have died within a week after allegedly consuming maize suspected to have been contaminated with a poisonous preservative.
The victims, a Grade Nine pupil, a Grade Eight pupil and a Grade Four pupil, reportedly developed severe stomach complications after their family consumed maize purchased from a local shop.
According to a family member, the children began experiencing stomach discomfort, bloating and vomiting a few hours after eating food prepared from the maize.
Their mother initially believed the symptoms were a normal stomach ailment, but their condition deteriorated, prompting her to seek medical attention at Mutomo Mission Hospital in Kitui South last Tuesday.
The family member said doctors at the facility suspected food poisoning and commenced treatment. “The family went to Mutomo Mission Hospital last Tuesday, where the children were examined and the doctor said it was food poisoning,” the family member said.
The Grade Nine pupil, who was the eldest of the three, died while receiving treatment at Mutomo Mission Hospital. Doctors subsequently referred the remaining two children to Kitui Level Four Hospital for specialised medical care.
The family member said the children were in critical condition, with the eldest developing severe symptoms after admission. “Their urine was so yellow, and their stomachs were swollen. After being admitted at around 8 p.m., the Grade Nine pupil became worse and started vomiting blood. He later died,” the family member said.
The two children were admitted to Kitui Level Four Hospital on Wednesday, August 19. However, the Grade Eight pupil died later that night while undergoing treatment.
His younger sister, a Grade Four pupil, remained in hospital and continued receiving treatment until Saturday evening, August 22, when she also succumbed to her illness.
The deaths have left the family and residents of the area in shock, with questions being raised over the safety of the maize allegedly purchased from the local shop.
According to the family member, police were notified after doctors raised concerns that the children's condition could have been linked to poisoning. “After the doctors suspected that the children had been affected by poison from the maize, they called the Kitui OCS, who contacted the local administration. The administration then summoned residents who had consumed the said maize,” she said.
Police and other relevant authorities have launched investigations to establish the exact cause of the children's deaths and determine whether the maize was contaminated.
Authorities are also expected to establish whether the maize contained a poisonous substance and how it may have been introduced into the food supply.
The investigation will further determine whether any individual or business bears responsibility for the suspected contamination, with appropriate legal action expected if wrongdoing is established.
Authorities have not yet released an official statement confirming the specific substance allegedly responsible for the deaths.
MWINGI TIMES for timely and authoritative news.
No comments
Post a Comment